Sometimes...

5.15.2005

A Bit of This and a Bit of That

First of all, I'd like to apologize for not updating more frequently. Life has been very hectic here lately, and not in the fun way. I've gotten comments from a few people who have stumbled upon this blog, and I'm slowly catching up on reading theirs as well. It's a hard process, what with having one exploding computer after another.

Oh, and there were finals. I'm done with school for the semester. I'm not sure how everything will turn out in that respect, but at least I'm done and I don't much care beyond that. In the middle of doing my major take-home final (intense essay test), my computer went into an infinite loop of rebooting. I think the power supply went KAPLOOEY. Anyway, it was an old computer anyway and it had been giving me some other problems as well. So I bought a new one. Which didn't work. So I exchanged it for a different one (same model, just with a working video driver). But it's had its problems, too. I do not trust that, in the current state, it also won't explode. I hope that if it does explode that it will happen within the next few days so I can exchange within the 14 day period.

Since school is over, I am now unemployed as well. This is starting to scare me, because I am hungry. Sure, I have another paycheck coming in from the TA job, but my job hunts have been on the more than negative side of worthwhile. I filled out so many applications the other day that my hand fell off and I had to have it reattached. I'm not asking for much. I even applied at Starbucks, and despite my previous coffee-drink making experience, they were not interested. It could be because one of the questions on the application said, "What do you like about coffee?" Besides being the single most stupid question to ever appear on any application on the history of mankind, I still had to answer it. I gave it the response it deserved, "What's not to like about coffee?"

I did apply at the temp agency, and while they said I was an excellent candidate, their response as I left their office Friday morning was grim. "We'll give ya a call if something becomes available." If? That's disheartening.

I'm in this state of disbelieving shock at the moment. No school, no job, and possibly no computer. I mean, I have a computer right now, but who knows how long it will stay functioning.

And the funk continues...

4 Comments:

Blogger deadpanann said...

I once applied at Starbucks and remember that very stupid question. I think I said, "It smells good" or something equally ridiculous. Even if an intelligent answer to that question existed, Starbucks is never going to see it written on an application. People are way too busy thinking "wtf" to think of a reasonable answer for an unreasonable question.

Keep pounding the ground on the job hunt. I've been doing the same thing and finally found a part-time job to put some change in my pockets, but haven't gotten any calls about teaching jobs. Something will develop eventually, and probably before we starve.

Sun May 15, 03:39:00 PM PDT

 
Blogger Cunning Linguist said...

You know the funny thing? Starbucks called about an hour after I posted this. Apparently, "What's not to like coffee?" is the correct answer.

Good luck on your own job hunt. What a shitty time to try to find a job.

Sun May 15, 06:01:00 PM PDT

 
Blogger Rachel Croucher said...

if you got the answer right then why didn't you get a job? Idiots. it looks like you, me and Ann are in the same position... I guess we will eventually get a decent job that reflects our qualifications, but the journey can get disheartening at times

But I guess that's what friends and beer are for, or husbands:)

Thu May 19, 12:29:00 PM PDT

 
Blogger Cunning Linguist said...

Aha, but this is where Starbucks is not your typical coffee restaurant! They gave me a behavioral interview, which requires much more soul searching and deep thinking than coffee really deserves. They're supposed to let me know by today. I would like, at this point, just to hear, "Fuck off you loser."

If I can get motivated, I'm going to try to find a couple of other temp agencies today and drop off my résumé to them, too.

Fri May 20, 08:37:00 AM PDT

 

Post a Comment

<< Home